Thursday, July 6, 2017

Sexy Ottobre for Me!

Back in 2010 (I’ve been blogging for that long??!?), I traced this out. Back then I didn’t have a coverstitch binding attachment and I was never happy with how binding turned out when I did it with my regular sewing machine. I loved the pattern but wanted to wait until I was better with the binding stuff. So I folded it up, stuck it in the magazine, and then forgot about it. For Seven. Years. Holy cripes! Well, I was organizing my Ottobre issues the other day and came across it again. Since I’m much better at “that binding stuff” now, I decided to attempt it. I still love it as much now as I did back then. And actually, with some layers of fabric, or cups or something, and some length, this would be a cute summer dress.
7


This is the picture in the magazine. Cute? Right??
6


My version is much racier and not suitable for an “on the hoof” photoshoot. The front is gathered with clear elastic.
1


When I bought this from Fabric.com, I think it was called “knit chiffon”. It’s a very sheer knit and I never really knew how to use it before this. Surprisingly, it takes a cover stitch well and sews up easily.
2


I used my cover stitch binding attachment for the straps. I bartacked all the high stress areas. I've found that one of the best fabrics for the binding attachment is double knit. This is the remnants of double knit and I had long ago cut it into strips for my binder. I do that with any knits I think will work well in my binder. I cut them into strips and put them in my drawer, then they are ready to go when I am.
3


I LOVE the back.
45


Needless to say, husband is definitely a big fan of this too.


Oh, and the details. This is from the 05/2009 Ottobre Woman’s magazine. It is design #1 and I traced out size 36. I had traced it off in a completely different way than I currently do them. It was interesting to see how much things have changed in ten years!

No comments: