Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Laminate Tablecloth–Boring but PRETTY!

This is nothing exciting about the sewing aspect of these, but I love the fabric. We have a casual dining table in the kitchen for our normal dinners and a more “formal” dining room. This is what I call the Kid Table. There is always food being dropped on it, water being spilled on it, etc. I made a couple of new laminated tablecloths and thought I would show them to you. I’ve never used this type of fabric before but I love it and it’s perfect for this!
laminate_5 

 

I used some pretty crazy patterns because I kind of like having the bright and colorful table and the more sedate, formal table. Isn’t the pattern fun? This is from Fabric.com. (Remember they are a sponsor! That means if you click the link and buy, I get a cut! FYI!)
laminate_2

 

This is Amy Butler Cameo Laminated Cotton Harriet's Kitchen Sugar. They had this in other colorways too.
laminate_6

 

We also use those heavy duty plastic mats. Kids are damn hard on furniture. This is what every meal in my house starts like. Salad. Luckily, the four kids are good eaters and love them some salad.
laminate_3

 

We also have a giant bulletin board that hangs over the table. This is where we hang all the great kid art. There isn’t really much on it right now because it’s summer. Once school starts, we have oodles of stuff. Last week, this whole board was full of tiger-striped pink balloons because it was our littlest ones birthday. She turned four!!! You can still barely see one of the balloons in the upper right corner. It’s a rotating art piece and I love it. The fabric on the bulletin board is from IKEA and I love that too.
laminate_4

 

Laminate is not bad to sew. All I did here was sew around the four corners. Really, my only advise is to use a leather foot. If you don’t have one of these, you need one. That makes it a breeze to sew. I used a large gauge needle (a 90?) and regular thread.
laminate_1

I also bought Brandon Mably Laminated Cotton Zig Zag Multi. OMG, right??!?!
laminate_7

 

I bought Heirloom Laminated Cotton Opal Blush too.
laminate_8

I also love these but did not buy.

Kaffe Fassett Laminated Cotton Flame Stripe Yellowlaminate_9

 

Logan Laminated Cotton Blossoms Pink
laminate_10

 

Riley Blake Laminate Medium Chevron Red/Black. This is like RAWR!
laminate_11

 

The dreaded SCH___________ starts tomorrow for me so I am turning in early. Uck!

3 comments:

Annsfashionstudio said...

Awesome!
http://annsfashionstudio.blogspot.ca/

Jodie Kachkar said...

Awesome - love the table cloths and the bulletin board. The dreaded SCH___starts for me next week (just prep work) and kids on the Tuesday after labour day. But its coming.....

Becky said...

Dawn, I love these! I have toyed with the idea of making laminate table clothes, but I have been chicken. Now, I may try, although I have no idea what a leather foot is.