Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Burda 02-2011 #107 Skirt

Here’s the newest project finally finished.  It took forever but not because it was difficult. On the contrary, this skirt was incredibly easy and the fit is fantastic with no modifications. I made a 34 with no changes to the sizing. I may add belt loops but then again, I might not. The only reason I would add them is to make the belt in back the same distance down the skirt. If you add belt loops though, it looks funny if you don’t have a belt on. I used the leftovers from this dress. It’s a silk/wool blend suiting.
bwof_0211_107_1 bwof_0211_107_2

 

 

The inside is lined with a stretch silk from ThaiSilks.com I bought a while ago. There is no slit but it’s pretty easy to walk in.
bwof_0211_107_3

 

 

I used the Threads tip about adding elastic to the waistband to make sure it stays snug against the body. This elastic adds quite a bit of bulk but I love the idea especially in something this high. Usually these high-waisted things kill me by lunch but this is nice because it has some give. The only problem is that the elastic wants to flip to the outside. I fixed this by tacking it from the inside to the fashion fabric (going through the lining). It does create a dimple from the RS but only when it’s not on the body.
 bwof_0211_107_4

 

 

You can see from the outside, off the body, that it looks like it’s puckered and not ironed. On the body though, it looks nice and the top edge stays against me but isn’t tight. I’ll definitely use this technique again even though it’s not the prettiest finish on the inside. I may try to sandwich the elastic between the lining and fashion fabric next time.  bwof_0211_107_5

22 comments:

SEWN said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that tip. I missed that one.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...love your lining.

Gail said...

Thanks for the useful tip. The lining fabric is almost too good to hide on the inside.

Jessica said...

Very beautiful and I love the shoes!

Ann Made Studio said...

Gorgeous fitting skirt and the lining fabric is soooo pretty.

Alison H said...

This fits you like a glove! It is absolutely beautiful.

Jenny said...

That looks fantastic! It is indeed a perfect fit.

Peggy's Closet said...

Wow! This skirt is lovely. I'm definitely going to try the elastic at the waistband tip. Thank you for sharing. ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

marysews said...

Nice skirt, and great fit!

Victoria said...

Great skirt---it shows off your stunning figure! The high waist looks great on you. I wish I could wear one but I'm short waisted:(. Guess I'll live vicariously through you! LOL!

Kitten said...

Wow, the first time I'm commenting here and I feel I must! I kind of love that skirt. It looks stunning, the kind of skirt you'd pay hundreds for at a good store.

angie.a said...

Ooh, pretty! I love it with the belt. Good shoes too, you shoe ho. :P

Rebecca said...

Cute skirt! How about trying to tack the elastic down at/through the side seams so it is invisible.

Pam said...

Adorable skirt! Congratulations!!

CarmencitaB said...

Goergous!

BConky said...

Cute skirt, love the fit on the back. I know my daughter would love it.

Jane M said...

Fantastic skirt on you. Thanks also for the reminder that Thai Silks has stretch lining, something I'm in need of right about now.

Alexandra said...

Beautiful skirt! I love the lining.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Great skirt! It made a pretty dress and now you have a pretty skirt too!

Noile said...

Very nice, and perfect on your body type! The elastic is clever; I'm going to remember that for the future.

I second the comments about the lining -- and love that it's so unexpected in a tweedy skirt.

Rachelle said...

Gorgeous skirt. I love the lining and the fit is amazing on you. Hope you're enjoying your summer break.

Peggy said...

Wow! Nice! I love your shoes!! Where did u get them?