Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Swimsuits!

I finished up on a set of swimsuits last night. I love this pattern. Last time I graded down to a size 3 (4 is the smallest size) and this time I used size 5. I used the same fabric for both of them. Personally, I think it’s kind of hideous but it was the favorite for both of the girls. It’s great fabric with fantastic stretch and recovery. I bought one yard of several prints from Fabric.com a while back and it’s all really high quality. They don’t look like they have any right now otherwise I’d post it for you. I’ll get action shots when I can.

 

This shows you the racer back which I really like.
swim_1 

 


I used my zigzag stitch to finish off the elastic edges.
swim_3

 

For those of you wanting the sewing nitty-gritty: I used a Microtex needle in size 80 for the zig-zag and had to change it once during the process. I used regular ol’ Coats and Clark cotton/poly thread. Nylon is sometimes a hard fabric to work with but it’s not bad if you use a really sharp needle and go slowly.

11 comments:

Joy said...

They are cute suits, even in big floral. Making suits is so gratifying, especially considering you save more money on swimwear than most other hand sewn items.

My girl picked a hideous floral for a swimsuit once, too. She got some sense by the time I made it, though. She refused to wear the ugly thing.

Ann Made Studio said...

Very cute!

Noile said...

Cute and flamboyant! It's great the way you're whipping up these little, but complete, projects while dealing with the horrors of moving. Your productivity is impressive -- look at all this finished stuff you're turning out!

Aura said...

Hello! (First-time commenter here, but long-time reader.) Cute suits - I like the fabric quite a bit, actually. BTW, I remember a while ago you posting about a HP bag you made that used to be a free file download. Is that something you are still willing to pass on via email? If so, I would love it when/if you have a chance - auragone AT gmail DOT com.

Debbie Cook said...

Very cute!

Sew more and ignore those silly boxes. You don't need that stuff anyway. ;-)

Amanda S. said...

Great job! Sometime I am going to have to get into making swimwear, but I'm fighting it as long as possible!

gwensews said...

Those are cute little suits. The little girls will love wearing them on the beach. Or pool.

Jacqui said...

I hadn't thought of using a microtex needle. Thanks!
I just made this in the size 14 for my daughter and realized it's time for her to move onto jr sizes. They grow up too fast!

Anonymous said...

Adorable suits. My daughter was just eyeing some suits from Boden - but I am totally going to try and make her some...may I ask why you don't cut the back piece as one piece to eliminate the seam? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I made the same suit out of the same fabric for flashy #2 daughter. She loves it, and I love it on her. Good thing, as I had enough fabric to make it again when it faded and died. And now it's time for round 3 in a slightly bigger size. I think I posted pics on patternreview
(chunter)

The Blog Readers/Lurkers said...

cooommmmmme bbaaccck <3 please :D We miss you and your "we bow down before you" creations. Hope you're getting nice and wrinkled up in your new hot tub, then haul yourself out of the tub and come say hello to us again. Lots of love from your blog readers