Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting back on the hawsie . . .

Jeez, where the heck did I go? I did not, dear readers, drop off the face of the Earth. I’m finding that being a single woman with three children is taking a lot more energy and time than I thought it would. And thank you for the comments and emails about my well being! I’m certainly hanging in there. Some days my only goal is to survive but I’ll get back to the point of kicking ass and taking names soon enough. Enough about moi though.

I’ve always loved the kid clothes over at Chez Ami. They are super cute and, of course, I drool over the fabric. They also sell fabric but I had never ordered any of it. Well, right before Christmas I bit the bullet and bought some of the jersey and a bunch of rib knit. I bought everything from the clearance section so it’s pretty darn cheap (like $3.50/yard). It took a long time to get here but that’s mainly because I live in Alaska and UPS Ground and can’t ship to PO boxes and blah, blah, blah. I really, really, really love the rib knit. Don’t get me wrong either. The jersey is nice but it’s really hard to find good rib knit. I think this jersey will become a cute set of jammies for my girls and I’ll either use the green, brown, or teal rib knit to go with it.

pj_5pj_3pj_4

 

I also have this black knit print left over from this KwikSew dress. I may use this up for kid jammies too. I’m thinking the pink or teal for this fabric.

pj_1

 

My son is also lacking in the jammies department so it’s probably time to make him some too! I’ll keep you updated on progress now that I and back to the life of the living! For him, I will certainly use the KwikSew 3234 pattern I always use. It’s fits so well! For the girls, well, I don’t know. They love the Butterick 4910 but the KwikSew ones are warmer. I live in a cold drafted house so we’ll see.

pj_2

22 comments:

Imaan said...

Good to hear from you again Dawn. Been thinking about you, but figured you were busy with the kids, and moving and settling into your new life. Are you still teaching? Best wishes, and hope to hear more from you!

Mary Nanna said...

I didn't realise you were raising your kids on your own now, so I'm really sorry to hear that - I'm sure it has been a very hard time for you.

Look forward to seeing what you come up when you finally manage some "me" time.

waikikimum said...

Hang in there Dawn. I have missed reading about your fabulous sewing and I hope to hear more from you when you are not busy being mum and dealing with all the things that life throws at us. Take care.

Sue said...

Great to see you posting again!

Heather said...

Welcome back! I'm so glad you posted this, because my feeble memory has been trying to remember Chez Ami for a month!

gwensews said...

Changes are difficult, especially emotionally charged ones. Best wishe for a very happy new year.

Unknown said...

Finding a rib knit to coordinate with a print is no small feat, so I've looked and Chez Ami with curiousity about quality. Glad to hear it's good stuff, thanks for the post!

Maryissewfast said...

Glad to see you posting again...been thinking about you. Being a single Mom is challenging, but I have faith you'll catch your stride and be awesome. Remember your blog friends are just a keystroke away. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Been there Done that! Life is the pits sometimes. Keep sewing! I know it really helped me. I love your latest fabric finds. hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victoria said...

Missed seeing you around but glad to have you back. Changes in life happens and sometimes take a little time to get used to. Glad you are well. Cute fabrics btw!

Jenny said...

I love the fabric I've gotten from Chez Ami. They have the highest quality, beefy knits, I think. :-) Take care of yourself. We all look forward to seeing what you can sew when you have the time.

Cissie said...

Glad to see you back with us, Dawn! I've been needing your inspiration! Hang in there -- and remember that you do not have to do it all, or do it perfectly!

Julie said...

Dawn, I raised three kids on my own with no help from the dad. It is hard, but you can do it and do it well! Love the spotty fabric!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a fun selection of fabrics! They are going to be stylin' in their pjs.

KellysSewing said...

I hope 2011 brings you much peace and happiness. Welcome back. You have been missed.

KarenP said...

Welcome back! Thanks for the tip about the Chez Ami fabrics - I hadn't realized they sold fabric. I love the polka dots you got!

beth said...

Glad you're back, Dawn. You've been missed. Best wishes for 2011, and I hope that much deserved good karma visits u soon!

Dana said...

Great to hear from you! Jammies for the kids as, wow. As always I envey your ambition. My daughter can't even seem to get a new dress out of me!

P.S. I found myself in the same position with my two kids. My arrangement gives me a full weekend of (almost) guilt-free sewing. Hope you can find some "me-time" for yourself too.

Christina said...

Really glad to see you back, Dawn. I was worried about you.

Love the fabrics! And can't wait to see what you do with them. :-)

Noile said...

I don't know whether your single status is due to divorce or death, but in either case, I'm sorry you've had to deal with it.

It's so good to have you back, blogging again. Your blog has always been one of my favorite, and it's a treat to be able to read it again. Best wishes for a very good 2011.

MAM said...

welcome back!

Anonymous said...

so glad you are back! sounds like you have a lot on your plate-so don't worry about us. That being said, post when you can! Your posts always inspire.