Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hmmmm, fail or not?

What do guys think of this? I’m kind of liking bubble skirts right now but I’m not sure if they are for me. I love, love, love Cidell’s versions here and here. I chose to just make a skirt instead of the whole dress but I think I might try that dress next. This 08-2010-132 skirt was originally made from woven but I made a knit rib waistband that was a little bit smaller than the pattern and now it’s just a pull-on skirt. I made a long tube of fabric (the blue stuff) and folded it in half. Then I turned the inside layer so it matched up with a different seam. For example, the CF inside layer matched up with the right side and the right side seam matched up with CB. Clear as mud? Then I gathered the skirt and attached it to the waistband. I’m not sure I like it. What do you guys think? I would probably style it like this for winter use. It’s much fuller than I thought it would be. Can you tell it’s cold out?
b_082010_132_1  b_082010_132_2

I know that I will for sure not be spilling in this dress. I didn’t realize it but it’s just like a circle skirt and it really flies right up there when you spin. Yikes!
b_082010_132_3

13 comments:

Debra Martin said...

Hi Dawn
I have to say that I am not a fan of the bubble skirt, but you wear it well! Maybe it's my age, but to me, bubble skirts look like they were sewn wrong.
I love the electric blue fabric. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

rosanne said...

My two cents: I generally like the bubble skirts but I think your version is a little too full up top? Perhaps the bubble hems with a very drapy fabric work best...But if you can work it, then Work it! You always look great!

Sewingelle said...

I agree with rosanne- its too full up top and looks a bit costume-y. But you can probably pull it off- you would look great in anything!

cidell said...

Thank you for the linkback :) I'm a fan of the bubble skirts. They are oddly youthful without being childish. I think this one has more fullness in the waist / hip than you may want. The more modern ones are less full. I love the spin factor though, LOL. You should go ice skating!

Bunny said...

This certainly looks cute on you and you can pull it off. I think you can eliminate some of the "too" fullness by folding in half, as you did, but a few inches up, gathering the fullness onto a flat lining. It would eliminate the fullness by half and be a tad more flattering. Just my two cents. But you look cute as the dickens in it. Man, is that comment aging me!.

Anonymous said...

I love it! It is full but it looks great on you. Wear it!

modernprintliz said...

I agree with the others that your version is a little full at the top.

I also think that the dress version looks better and less juvenile? Or maybe wearing a top that doesn't contrast so much with the skirt. A *tonal* look would be nice. I love the color, but pairing it with black really makes the bubble part pouf!

But don't give up yet, it's not a fail and I know you can pull it off!

Unknown said...

i think its adorable! you look like your freezing in that pic. that skirt would look adorable with a faux vest! :)

Unknown said...

I mean Faux fur vest. :)

Rose K said...

I think the way you've accessorized it is throwing me off. It's bright,(love the color) looks like a spring/summer item (to me) and you have it paired with heavier black tights and a sweater. I think if it the skirt had a more slender line or if you paired it with a different color tights/sweater with a different texture, it could work. It could look cute with a thinner top, vest and a pashmina scarf.

Peace Thyme said...

I am really not a fan of the bubble skirt. And the ones that I have seen that I might like on my daughter are not so full and are a bit longer. Just IMO, Dawn.

MAM said...

oh dear - doesn't do a thing for you! Waaay too much fabric I think!

Jacki said...

I can't quite wear one of those, as I have quite the "bubble" without the skirt! BUT, it looks very good on you! So cute!!