Sunday, December 14, 2008

Questions and Answers

Another installment of answers to your questions. I know some of you asked a long time ago.

Kat has left a new comment on your post "Burda 11-2008-126 Cozy Pants": Dawn, great pants! BTW, where did you get the small grommets and tie?
Hi Kat, I bought an industrial snap press from TheSnapStore.com and have an assortment of grommets, snaps, and die sets. These are way superior to the grommets that I was using. I had some hand-me-down grommets that were very small. They did not include a second piece and had a little hand tool to apply them. Those ones came out all the time. I made the tie by sewing RST and turning the tube.

Jacqui has left a new comment on your post "Kid Sewing -- Jalie and KwikSew": Love the green! Looks more like pea baby food. =) I noticed some tags on them. Do you put size tags on them?
I have a business and I put care tags on all my items. I also include care tags in my person kids clothing because I want them to be able to dress themselves and it's easier on me when they can tell front and back.

Amanda S. has left a new comment on your post "Burda 11-2008-126 Cozy Pants": This is on my to-do list as well. Yours are really cute! So, what is up with screws in tennis shoes for running on snow? Do they give better traction or something?
Yes, they are for traction. It is snowy for a good seven or eight months here so it's good to have traction.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Orange is my Favorite Color . . .": This may be a silly question, but did you do the pebble edging on the trim and then attach it to the bodice/neck edge? Thanks. :)Eme
Hi Eme! Yes, first you sew the shoulders of the shirt together. Then, add the edging of your choice or just fold it all under and edgestitch. Once your edges are finished you can put everything together.

Vicki has left a new comment on your post "Burda 11-2008-124 Sweatshirt": Have you ever considered a square shoulder adjustment? The opposite of a sloping shoulder. You have a lovely square shoulder line but the patterns are more sloping. If you adjust for that then the neck would sit lower on your neck/shoulder point and the pulls across the back will probably disappear. I know Debbie Cook adjusts for that and she may have a tutorial. Me, I have to do a sloping shoulder - just 1cm, but it makes all the difference. I am catching up on your posts here and have to agree that I am amazed at how much you get done! Your skirt is lovely and those jeans are perfect :) This sweat top is cute too and definitely on my "one day maybe" list.
No Vicki, I haven't looked at that adjustment. I do have some shoulder/arm fitting issues which is why I stick with a lot of knits for the top half of my body. I need to figure out how to adjust for my upper body because I just received some wonderful Italian shirting fabric from my husband. I'll take to look and see how Debbie Cook does it. Thank you for the fitting advice.

Sewfast has left a new comment on your post "Burda 11-2008-124 Sweatshirt": I like the style too and also not a big fan of facings with knits. Could the back be bound with some fold over elastic or a bias strip? Also, I was wondering about the center back seam on the yoke piece...could that piece be cut on the fold to eliminate that seam and maybe tweak it a bit to tighten up that neck area? I'm always looking at pattern directions to find a "better way" (at least in my humble opinion...LOL) Mary
Yes, the back could be finished off with FOE and you could do a centerback seam for the back seam arm sections. This would take a lot of fabric so I think that is why they recommend to have that CB seam.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Thank you, Dawn! That is very helpful. I'll be sure to check out that source.