Thursday, March 27, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Me!

So I started garment sewing a year ago. My first skirt was a denim a-line skirt with a back zipper. It was a very simple McCall's pattern. I didn't really believe in that whole "finishing seams" thing back then.
Believe it or not, the facing piece is finished with a decorative stitch. You just can't see it very well and it still frayed like crazy. That zipper is waaaaay bad. Look at how "off" it is.
To do the hem, I folded twice and sewed on a decorative stitch to the bottom. This is stretch denim and the hem ended up wavy and puckered.
Yikes. This is the zipper from the outside. I like this skirt and wear it sometimes but only under a very long top.
Overall, I am just delighted that my skills have come so far in a short period of time. Just thought I would share my first garment sewing project. I am glad that my current skirts look nothing like this and are much more professional-looking.

7 comments:

Adrienne said...

Awww Happy Anniversary! I could never show my first garment! LOL

Sigrid said...

You learned and did a lot in a year. Congratulations.

Debbie Cook said...

Happy Anniversary! I'd never have guessed it's only been 1 year. Your latest projects look perfect, and really, that first skirt isn't even that bad ... for a first skirt. The fact that you still wear tells me that you feel the same. :-)

Paula Gardner said...

Happy Anniversary, Dawn! I would never have guessed, after your amazing achievment in the Wardrobe Contest, that you've only been sewing garments for one year. Amazing!

Kat said...

This is great! You must be so proud of yourself to have accomplished so much in a year.

Meg said...

Give yourself a big pat on the back!
I wish I still had some of the clothes I made as a teen. I don't think I ever did much in terms of seam finishing--I was always in too big a hurry.

Karen said...

You've come a long way in a year. I had a lot of the same misconceptions about finishing seams and some of my early zippers look remaerkably like that one.

If you've done this in a year, you're gonna be scary!