Sunday, January 20, 2008

Jalie 2679





I made these coats a month ago or so and figured it was time to review them.

Pattern Description: Full front-zip hip-length fleece jacket with long raglan sleeves, self-fabric cuff, two zippered pockets at front and optional decorative stripe at sleeve.

Pattern Sizing: This is Jalie so it is everything from size toddler 2 to Women's 22. I made a size Q (b: 32", w: 26.5", h: 34.5")

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, the shape looks just like the picture.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very easy. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I love the style of this jacket and how RTW it looks. People are always complimenting me on it. They can't believe it came out of an envelope. If you are going to topstitch, like the pattern calls for, it takes a while. I topstitched one and not the other.

Fabric Used: For my first one, I used a Baum Textiles reversible fleece. It is brown on one side and camel colored on the other. I made some parts brown and some camel and I like the effect. Here is the front and back of that coat. I topstiched this one and really like it. The second one is the Polartec 300 Windbloc fabric. I was debating changing this pattern and making is for the knock-off contest but decided not to. I would have knocked off this coat in purple. I have the same color fabric as the purple too.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No pockets on the brown one, it was my muslin. On the brown/camel version the hip section is a little snug so I used very small seam allowances when I sewed up the green one. Other than those, no other alterations. Oh, and I didn't topstitch the green one because I didn't want to punch holes in the windproof membrane.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I love this coat. I would definitely recommend it. It is easy and perfect for the serger.

Conclusion: I love this coat. It will become a staple up here in the frozen arctic. I will be making one for each of my girls.

No comments: