Saturday, January 12, 2008

Jalie 2000


Pattern Description: From the envelope: Choice of Pants. Whew. From me: Pants with faced waist, back zipper, and choice of bootcut, capri, or stovepipe legs. Stretch material is recommended.


Pattern Sizing: All in one, baby. I made a size T (w: 26 1/4, h: 35 7/8"). Since it has the smaller sizes, I am pondering making it in knit for my almost 2YO girls. It may be a cute pull-on pant for them. Hmmmm. More on that later. I am also pondering using a non-stretch woven like garbardine and going up two sizes. I love this fit, it is super easy, and takes only a yard of 60" fabric.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, except the material is diferent. I made the bootcut version. I know bootcut pants are on their way out of fashion, probably already gone, but I refuse to make tapered pants. It was a bad look in the 80's and it is a bad look now. Who does it flatter???


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very but these were very easy to make. There was only front leg, back leg, front facing, and back facing. I used the Fashion Incubator tutorial for my centered back zipper and it was super easy and looks great.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love that it fits and that it was so easy. Right now, I just want to say to Jalie, "I love your patterns!!" I think I will use smaller inseams next time on the thigh/butt area. It fits but I won't be wearing these to work. They would be great party pants. Just a little too, um, tight/clingy/showy for work. I think that I will move the zipper to the side seam next time too. Nothing like a zipper to point out your curvy areas.


Fabric Used: This was a sale-priced stretch denim from JoAnn's.


Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I did do a few things differently. I used the Fashion Incubator tutorial for the zipper and edge-finished the bottom of my facing pieces to make it look more finished. I plan to make a few more changes on the next go around. Maybe add faux pockets? These pants would be great for embroidery or applique or other embellishments.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yup and yup.


Conclusion: Great, easy pants. Perfect party pants when you want to look hot with heels. I almost forgot to add the other pictures! Here is the front, back with the top showing, and front with the top showing. I should also add I have not hemmed yet. That always takes me a couple days because I like to try the pants on with a couple different pairs of shoes and hem them to that length. Is that weird? Do other people hem for their shoes?


Happy sewing!

No comments: